White Lion

White Lion,  Ketley;  The Nabb.


WHITE LION      Holyhead Road      Ketley.       
 




Building dated1661

9th September 1835    “Sale at Auction of White Lion, Ketley
On 21st September 1835 occupation of Thomas Lawley also two houses adjoining
and a garden 23R in length.”          Shrewsbury Chronicle.


2013 Now owned by Inntradeuk Ltd.




                                                                                                            
 



  
2000.



2011.

A new sign, a facsimile of the wall sign on the frontage.




RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON.

1.Name.  White Lion.  2.Place.  Ketley. 3.Date of Visit.  24 july 1896.
4.Nature of Licence.  Alehouse  7 day. 5.When Granted. Before 1800.
6.Owner. &  Occupier.  Arthur Cooper.   Number of changes within past five years. Four.
7.Rateable value. £22-15s. 8.Accommodation.  6 rooms downstairs & 6 up. 9.Stabling. For 4 horses.
10.Condition of Buildings. Stables require repairing, cleaning & lime-washing.
11.Nature of Trade.  Mining, Ironworks and roadside.
12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 500 yards.  
13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. About 15 yards.
14.Position of House with regard to Police Control.  About 1/4 mile to police station.
15.Date & Nature of Proceedings.  October 22, 1888, permitting drunkenness, fined £1. costa 16/6d.  Not against present owners.   16.General Remarks. None

Some licensees
    1834    John LEWIS (PD)
    1840    Thomas WHITTINGHAM (PD)
    1844    John LEWIS (PD)
    1868    John BROWN  (Slater’s Directory)
    1881    John BROWN  (Wellington Directory)
    1895    Arthur COOPER  (KD)   
    1896    Arthur COOPER (PSR).
    1909    George FLETCHER (KD)
    1913    Albert ALLEN (KD)
    1917    Henry William ARMSTRONG (Old Photo)
    1934/41    Albert WRIGHT (KD)
    1964    Albert E A WRIGHT (WD)
    2003    Kevin EDWARDS.
    2005    Andrew DODD.
    2013.   Steve Hay


WHITE LION    Nabb    
(Top of Willow Road)

“Just beyond the telephone box on The Nabb stood the White Lion-”  (“Here be Dragons”).
Premises now demolished.
Licensee
    1825    Jn WARD (QSR)

Comments