Waggon


WAGGON        Market St       Oakengates. 
  
AKA The 'Wagon & Horses'.Next to railway bridge by 'Coffee House'.

                               
            
                                    Site in 2005

    First mentioned in the street directory in 1888 when
 Morgan TURNER was the Innkeeper.  William ONIONS 
was 'the beer & wine retailer' here from the turn of the 
century until the 1920s when the pub became a fruit shop,
 run by A BOYLE. Pulled down in the fifties..." 
(Extract from 'The Oakengates Book').


"1894 July 2. Mrs. Collis went to live at the Wagon, Oakengates 

"1901  Dec 3. Tues , Fine to-day and mild.    Yesterday Mrs Turner's Son at Wagon Inn Oakengates 
fined for allowing  Betting. The Son fined £20 & £5 costs,  Mrs Turner £5 & costs, the other son £5 and cost". 
(Extracts from Albert Henry Davies's Diary,)


 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON 1896
  
 1. Name.  The Waggon.  2. Place.  Market St.  Oakengates.   3. Date of visit. 24 July 1896
  4. Nature of licence. Beer & Wine 7 day.      5. When granted.Before 1838.
  6. Owner  Eliza. Powis, Oakengates. Occupier.  Thomas Henry Turner.   No changes last 5 years.
  7. Rateable value. £28-17-6d.  8. Accommodation. 3 rooms downstairs & 3 up.  9. Stabling. None.
10. Condition of buildings. Fair condition.  11. Nature of trade. Mining & ironworks.
12. Proximity to licensed houses.  40 yards. 13. Proximity to dwelling houses. Adjoining.
14. Distance from Police control. Near police station.
15. Date of proceedings.None.    16. General remarks. None.


        Some licensees,
        1881    Morgan TURNER (census), shown as 'Wagon & Horses'
        1891    Thomas H TURNER  (LOD 1891 & census)
        1891    Henry TURNER (AHD)
        1896    Thomas Henry TURNER, owner Eliza POWIS. Oakengates
        1901    Mary Ann TURNER, owner Edwin HOLMES. (PSR)
        1900s    William ONIONS (OB)







WAGGON & HORSES     Stafford Road    Oakengates

Possibly the premises named as 'Coach & Horses' in a description of the old doctor's surgery Stafford Road in 'Oakengates.Com'. Early O/s map shows these premises as 'The Forester's Arms'.

        Licensee 1881 census.   Richard CORBETT, wine & beer seller. 


Comments