Stafford Arms


STAFFORD ARMS,     Main Road,     Ketley Bank. 

One time 'Wrekin Brewery' house, later Banks and then Burtonwood Breweries.

Closed and Boarded up 2015 awaiting its fate.



 
2003



2003
 
 
 

2009
 

2009


   
 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL 1896
Name.   Stafford Arms.  Place. Coalpit Bank. Wombridge parish.  Date of Visit.  24 July 1896.  
Nature of Licence.  Alehouse, 6 days.
When Granted. Not known, before 1800.   
Owner & Occupier.  John ROBINSON    Number of changes within past five years.  None
Rateable value.  £19 - 5- 0      Accommodation.  4 rooms down, 7 up. Stabling.2 horses.  
Condition of Buildings. Stables require cleaning & lime whitewashing.  
Nature of Trade. Ironworks & mining.   Proximity to other Licensed Houses.  1/4 mile.
Proximity to Dwelling Houses.  20 yards.  Position of House with regard to Police Control Police station 1 mile.
Date & Nature of Proceedings    None listed.  General Remarks.  None.


Wednesday 31st December 1828
“Celebrations re: birth of a Child to the Leveson Family.
At Ketley Bank, cannon placed in front of the Stafford Arms Inn and continued firing throughout the day. Joseph Reynolds gave a speech ,The Old Park band struck up “Rule Britannia”, Mr Hombersley and Mr Bradeley attended the feast and 699 tenants were served ale.”     Shrewsbury Chronicle.


12th September 1863
Joseph Brown a Licensed Victualler of Coal Pit Bank.Bankrupt



Albert Henry DAVIES’s diary--
Oct 8 1880    Mrs. Collis finished selling Ale at the Stafford Arms on Saturday Oct 9.
                  (She was Caroline COLLIS, the widow of George COLLIS).
Oct 11 1880    Mr. Robinson,  Donnington Wood took to the Stafford Arms.

    Some licensees
        1844    William PERRY (PD)
        1851    William PERRY (HGD)
        1861    Joseph BROWN Innkeeper & Farmer. (census & HHD).
        1868    Thomas GUY  (Slater’s Directory)
        1871    George COLLIS Innkeeper. (census).
        1881    John ROBINSON (census)
        1891    John ROBINSON,  Licensed Victualler (census).
        1895    John ROBINSON (KD)
        1896    John ROBINSON (PSR)
        1901    Edward CODLING, owners C Bate & Sons, Union Brewery, Wrexham (PSR).       
        1909    Edward CODLING (KD)
        1929    Walter BROOME
        1934    William James EDWARDS (KD)
        1941    Walter FLETCHER,  (KD 1941)
        1964    Alice E RUSTON (WD)
        2003    Ken & Lorraine MILLINGHAM

ą
Henry Pope,
17 Oct 2014, 04:23
Comments