Shropshire Arms

SHROPSHIRE ARMS INN.       Trench Lock.    

 (later known as  The Blue Pig, 1980s ? ).   
  Photo 1972 copyright  James Tennant, (

"Houses on the left included the Shropshire Arms pub, nicknamed The Blue Pig for reasons believed to be connected with the close proximity of the ironworks which produced the pig iron and it was finally officially renamed by that title by Marstons the brewers in 1983. The facade of the old Shropshire Arms pub remains unchanged, though the pub has now been renamed as the Blue Pig, its nickname for generations, but a 1967 photo shows the old Shropshire Union Canal, now replaced by the Queensway perimeter road and the Trench Lock island." (".Hadley in Old Picture Postcards".)


1.Name.  Shropshire Arms. 2.Place.  Trench Pool. 3.Date of Visit.  25 July 1896.
4.Nature of Licence. Alehouse, 7 day. 5.When Granted. Not known but before 1800.
6.Owner. Pearce & Co. (Brewers) Market Drayton.  Occupier. William John Lane.
   Number of changes within past five years. One.
7.Rateable value. £22. 8.Accommodation. 4 rooms downstairs & 5 up. 9.Stabling. For 4 horses.
10.Condition of Buildings.  House in good condition, stabling requires repair & lime-washing, (unfit for horses). 11.Nature of Trade.Ironworks.
12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 1/4 mile. 13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. About 20 yards. 14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. About 1/4 mile to Police Station.
15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. none. 16.General Remarks. Tied to owner.

Some licensees,
    1871        Jabez BLAKEMORE  (census).
    1891        Edwin DAVIES  (census).
    1891/95   Edward GRAINGER (KD)
    1896        William John LANE    Owners  Pearce & Co. (brewers),  Market Drayton.
    1904/09    W.J.LANE (AD)
    1917        Robert CHILTON (KD)
    1934        James MYTTON (KD)
    1941        Edwin DAVIES (KD)
    1964        Ernest W. WILLIAMS (WD)
    2003        Rachel & Martin FULLWOOD.