Queen's Head

Queen's Head, Horton;  Ketley;  St.Georges;  Wrockwardine Wood.



The Queens Head, Horton, Telford.

 





QUEEN’S  HEAD,       Bennet’s Bank         Ketley.

The premises were demolished on 26 Sept. 1973. (TOP)


The Queen’s Head was the scene of a murder on Wednesday 6 September 1950, when the landlady, Mrs Jane EDGE, was brutally battered to death. A Frank GRIFFIN was later charged and convicted of the crime, he was hanged on 4 January 1951 at Shrewsbury prison. (“A Ketley Mon” by Terry Lowe).



 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON 1896

      1. Name.  Queen's Head.   2. Place. Ketley Sands.   3. Date of visit.  24 July 1896. 

     4. Nature of licence. Beerhouse, 7 day. 5. When granted. Before 1856.                                                          

     6. Owner Potter & Co. (Brewers) Wellington.  Occupier James Gilderoy.                                                

         No.of changes (last 5 years).  Two. 

    7. Rateable value. £15.  8. Accommodation.5 rooms downstairs and 4 up.     

    9. Stabling. For 2     horses. 

   10. Condition of buildings. Dirty condition. 

   11. Nature of trade. Mining, Industry & Roadside. 

   12. Proximity to licensed houses. 500 yards. 13. Proximity to dwelling houses. 15 yards. 

   14. Distance from Police control. 1 1/2 mile to police station.  

   15. Date of proceedings. None.         16. General remarks. Tied to owners.


Some licensees,

    1851          Richard PICKEN (census)

    1861          Samson PARTON (census), beer seller and grocer.

    1881          Gabriel PICKERING (Wellington Directory & census)

    1896          James GILDEROY, owners Potter & Co. Brewers, Wellington (PSR).

    1909/17     William PEAKE. (KD).

    1924          William EDGE

    1926          Mrs Jane EDGE

    1934/41     Mrs Jane EDGE  (KD).

 




QUEENS HEAD   32 Granville Terrace,    St.George's

In business 1862 (HBD).

 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL 1896.

1.Name  Queens Head. 2.Place. St Georges. 3.Date of Visit. 1 Aug 1896  4.Nature of Licence,  Beerhouse 7 days.  5.When Granted.  Not known but before 1861.   6.Owner John HOLMES (Trench).  Occupier  Robert CLAYTON  Number of changes within past five years. One.  7.Rateable value £11-1s.  8.Accommodation.  2 rooms downstairs and 6 up.   9.Stabling. For  4horses.                            10.Condition of Buildings. House ceiling requires lime-washing, stabling requires cleaning, lime washing, new cratches and manger.  11.Nature of Trade. Mining & works . 12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses.  About 20 yards.  13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining. 14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. In town near Police Station  15.Date & Nature of Proceedings.  none. 

Some licensees,

    1861      Charles S SMALLMAN (census)

    1876      Jonah POPPETT occupier,  Sarah HILL 2/3 & Lilleshall Co. 1/3  owners  (WWS plot 234)

    1881      William H PASCALL

    1896      Robert CLAYTON,  owner John HOLMES  (PSR).

    1902      Robert CLAYTON licensee and owner. (Rates book) Rateable value £29.15s.



QUEENS HEAD    Chapel Bank  Wrockwardine Wood.



       NB.  There is some confusion with this property, the 1861 census shows John MEDDINGS at “The Incline Plane Beerhouse, the Petty Session’s Returns for 1896 & 1901 give the address as Chapel Bank, Wrockwardine Wood and the owners as Potter & Co. Brewers.

    NB.  There is further confusion between this property and the Queens Head, Moss Lane. 

It is not clear if some of the directory entries refer to this property or the other.

 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON 1896

   1. Name. Queen's Head. 2. Place. Chapel bank, Wrockwardine Wood. 3. Date of visit. 25 July 1896. 

  4. Nature of licence. Beerhouse 7 day.   5. When granted. Before 1844. 

   6. Owner. Potter & Co.(Brewers), Wellington. Occupier. John Price. No.of changes (last 5 years) 1   

   7. Rateable value. £30-8s. 

  8. Accommodation. 5rooms downstairs and 4 up.  9. Stabling.  For 3 horses.        

    10. Condition of buildings. House rooms require papering and lime-washing. Stables require new cratch, cleaning and lime-washing.  1

1. Nature of trade, mining. 

    12. Proximity to licensed houses about 20 yards.  

13. Proximity to dwelling houses. About 10 yards. 

14. Distance from Police control. 1 1/2 miles to police station.

15. Date of proceedings. None. 16. General remarks. Tied to owner.

 Some licensees,

    1861                     John MEDDINGS (HHD)

    1891                     Thomas NICHOLLS (census)

    1895/6                  John PRICE (KD & PSR). **

    1901                     J PRICE    (1901 Directory Wrockwardine Wood)

    1901                     William ADDISON, owners Potter & Co. Wellington. (PSR).**




QUEEN'S HEAD   Moss Lane   Wrockwardine Wood


(On East side of Moss Lane near Rookery Road, now "Erindale"  a private property on the corner of Rookery Road.)  

At some time before 1827 this property was known as “The Holly Bush” (IGM).



In 1876 the property was owned by The Lilleshall Company and the Company's Rent Room was at the rear. (WWS).

Some licensees,

    1841           Isaac JARVIS  (census)

    1851/61       Thomas JONES, victualler (census , HGD & HHD).

    1871/81       Richard TRANTER, (census)

    1876           Richard TRANTER occupier, The Lilleshall Co. owners.  (WWS plot 415)

    1905           John ROPER (KD)

    1909           Jn. PICKIN (KD)

NB.  There is some confusion with this property and the Queens Head, Chapel Bank.

It is not clear which of the directory entries refer to this property or the other one.




 

 


Comments