Quarry

QUARRY INN,     Church St.    St Georges.

aka The Quarry, later The Bell & Bails.

(Named after the quarry from which they dug the stone for the new parish church.)

Open for business in 1862 (HBD), 

1901 Owned by Wrekin Brewery.


 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL, 1896

1.Name.  QUARRY    2.Place. ST GEORGES.   3.Date of Visit.  1 AUG 1896  

4.Nature of Licence, ALEHOUSE 7 days.  5.When Granted.  Not known but before 1800. 

6.Owner & Occupier  JOHN SWIFT. Number of changes within past five years. One

  7.Rateable value £20-8s.  8.Accommodation.  5 rooms downstairs and  4 up. 9.Stabling. For 2 horses.  

10.Condition of Buildings. House ceiling requires Lime-washing, stable roof needs repairing, cleaning and lime-washing.  

11.Nature of Trade. Mining & works . 

12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses.  About 50 yards. 13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining.  

14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. In town,near Police Station.


    Some licensees

        1828/34                 Richard DAVIES (PD)

        1861                     John FORGHAM (census & HHD).

        1891                     John FORGHAM & John SWIFT (census)

        1895/6                  John SWIFT (KD & PSR).

        1901                     Sampson PITCHFORD (PSR) . (Owners Wrekin Brewery).

        1902                     Samson (sic) PITCHFORD, (Owners Wrekin Brewery) (SRB)  Rateable value £29.15.

        1905                     Joseph J BOYCOTT (KD)

        1909                     Joseph Henry BALL (KD)

        1921                     A E DAVIES. (Wrekin Brewery auction lists)

        1934                     Joseph Edward TURNER (KD)     

        1941                     Mrs Maggie DUNCOMBE, (KD)

        1956                     Walter P DAVIES (ER)

        1964                     Walter P DAVIES (WD)

        2008                     Stephen BINDOKAS  (As Bell & Bails.)


Sources


Comments