New Inn


NEW INN        Trench Road      Trench.

Aka. New House Inn, later renamed Trench Tavern.  (see separate entry) .


   Photo 1972 copyright  James Tennant, (james@jrphotography.co.uk)


RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON.


                                                1.Name.  New Inn. 

2.Place.  Trench Lock, 

3.Date of Visit. 25 July 1896.

                                        4.Nature of Licence. Beerhouse 7 day.  

5.When Granted. Not known but before 1866. 

6.Owner. Potter & Co.  (brewers), Wellington.  

Occupier. Richard OSBOURNE.  One

 change w

ithin past five years. 

7.Rateable value. £16. 

8.Accommodation. 4 rooms downstairs & 3 up. 

9.Stabling. None

10.Condition of Buildings.  Fair condition.  

11.Nature of Trade. Ironworks & Agriculture.

12.Proximity to other 

Licensed Houses. About 500 yards. 

13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses.Adjoining. 

14.Position of House with regard 

to Police Control. Near Police Station.

15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. None.  

16.General Remarks. Tied to owner.



    Some licensees.

        1861       Joseph MILES (HHD)  (As “The New House“)

        1891       Charles Henry LOWE (census)

        1891       James BOURNE (WW Census)

        1896       Richard OSBOURNE (PSR),  owners  Potter & Co. (brewers), Wellington.

        1904       R OSBOURNE. (AD) 

                  (Single reference to 'The New House Inn' in 'The Advertiser' directory for Trench, 1904.)

        1941       Charles Henry LOWE  (KD)

        1964       William T WAKELEY (WD)

 For later entries see Trench Tavern.

Comments