Leopard



LEOPARD.        Market St        Oakengates

(AKA. The Spotted Leopard)

1861 census gives address as "High St. Oakengates".


“The Leopard or Spotted Leopard Inn was situated about 200 yards from the Snedshill Blast furnaces on a piece of land called “Kerry’s Well”, today it would very close to where the Oakengates Police Station stood. The pub also stood within 40 yards of the 279 yard long Snedshill Canal Tunnel which was on the Shropshire Canal. It was run by Rebecca Rigby (b1792) and by 1858 when the Coalport railway line was built across the old Snedshill furnace cinder heap the pub was demolished.”    

Paul Luter, “Oakengates News”.


    Some licensees,

        1826                     Rebecca RIGBY (PD & PL).

        1844                     Rebecca RIGBY (PD)

        1851                     Rebecca RIGBY.(BD)

        1861                     Edwin PITCHFORD Beerhouse keeper & Butcher (census)


Comments