Hand & Hammer


HAND & HAMMER        Market St           Oakengates

Would appear to have been at the top of Market St, roughly where Owen's Electrical Shop is to-day.

“The Hand and Hammer was run by Robert Austin  who was also the local Constable for the parish of Shifnal. The Pub was situated opposite Whitefoot’s shop in Market Street and it is believed it was built in February 1786 and was a very busy establishment that saw its fair share of fights and disorder. On 21st March 1827 the Pub saw the Manslaughter of James Titley who was drinking in the pub when he was assaulted by Miles Roden because he took Roden’s mug to drink from.   Austin tried to protect Titley, but he ultimately died of his injuries.

However the pub was finally destroyed in a fire in September 1863,(#) when it was under the license of one Sampson Pitchford, whose grave can still be seen to this day in Hadley Churchyard.”       Paul Luter, “Oakengates News”

(#)  The premises were still in use in 1866,  see newspaper article below. The landlord, Sampson PITCHFORD was about 61 years old at the time of this death. Sampson appears to have died in the September quarter of 1869.

 

    Some licensees,

        1826/34                Richard AUSTIN (PD & PL).

        1828                     Robert AUSTIN (PD)

        1844                     Sampson PITCHFORD (PD)      

        1851                     Sampson PITCHFORD Wine & Spirit Merchant. (HGD)

        1861                     Sampson PITCHFORD Victualler. (Census & HHD).


 

Comments