Cottage Spring

Cottage Spring,  St. Georges; Trench Lock.


COTTAGE SPRING       Church St.       St Georges  

Open for business in 1862 (HBD).
February 1894, sale of property at the Caledonia Hotel, Oakengates, by Barber & Sons of Wellington. Lots 1 & 2 (under the will of  the late Mr John DAVIES). The Cottage Spring, fully-licensed public house--- and six cottages adjoining, were bought--- for Mr J.H.GARDNER, of the White Lion, Wellington, at £1,000. (Eddowes Journal. 10 Feb 1894)
2012 Closed and seeking new tenant.
   
                         



 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL.

1.Name. Cottage Spring.2.Place. St.Georges 3.Date of Visit.1 Aug 1896.
4.Nature of Licence.Alehouse 7 days. 5.When Granted. Not known but before 1861.
6.Owner & Occupier.  Louisa GARDENER    Number of changes    within past five years.2.
7.Rateable value.£25.8.Accommodation.  4 rooms downstairs & 5 up. 9.Stabling. For 2 horses.
10.Condition of Buildings. House fair condition, stable requires new cratch and manger.
11.Nature of Trade. Ironworks & mining.12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 40 yds.
13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining 
14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. In town, near Police Station.
15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. Nov 9. 1892, permitting drunkenness, fined £5. costs £1-16-10, license endorsed.  Not against present occupiers.
 16.General Remarks. none


Some licensees
    1861        Henry HOWELLS (census)  (Charter master & Innkeeper)
    1871        George RUSHTON (census)
    1876        William LANGFORD occupant, William LOVETT owner.  (WWS  plot 645)
    1881        William LOVETT (census)
    1891        William LOVETT (KD)
    1896        Louisa GARDENER (PSR)
    1901        Robert WHITE, owner Lassell & Sharman, Caergwrle.
    1901        William POWNALL  (1901 Directory Wrockwardine Wood)
    1904        William POWNALL (KD)
    1905/9     David HASTIE (KD)
    1917        Thomas JONES (KD)
    1929        Jn J. THOMAS (KD)
    1934        Miss Violet Winifred FOULKES (KD)
    1937/41   Mrs Mary HICKS (KD)
    1956        Kenneth MALDEN  (ER)
    1966        Reginald S. TAYLER (sic) (ER)
    2002        Brian & Joan EDWARDS.
    2011        Donna McGIVERN



COTTAGE SPRING        Trench Lock

Referred to in 'The Hadley Book' as being  "near to the Barley Mow, Trench lane and kept by the Looseys' (sic)  for many years" (page 100).Name believed to have been "Lewsley".

RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON.
1.Name.  Cottage Spring.2.Place. Trench Lock.3.Date of Visit. 25 July 1896.
4.Nature of Licence. Beerhouse 7day.5.When Granted. Not known but before 1866.
6.Owner. Thomas TART, Eaton Constantine.   Occupier. John DODD.
   Number of changes within past five years. One.
7.Rateable value. £21.8.Accommodation.   4 rooms downstairs & 4 up.9.Stabling. None.
10.Condition of Buildings. House in good repair, ceilings in house require lime-washing.
11.Nature of Trade. Ironworks.12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 10 yards.
13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining.14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. About 1/4 mile.
 15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. 9 Nov 1892, permitting drunkenness fined £5, costs £1-16-10d. Licence endorsed. Not against present occupier.
16.General Remarks.
none

Some licensees
    1891        Joseph Henry BROWN (census)
    1896        John DODD  owner Thomas TART (PSR).
    1901        Emma BROWN, owner & occupier (PSR).  
    1903        Joseph Brown (Kelly's directory)


Comments