Bell

Bell pubs in Donnington Wood; St. Georges; Hadley; Oakengates.

 

BELL           Donnington Wood

         

 


 
 

                1800s                                                2003                                      2008  Gone but not forgotten!



First opened for business some time before 1800 (D & M)

First licensed  between 1828 & 1839 and known as The Bell by 1856.(VHS).

1881 described as "Donnington Wood, Dukes Cottage (The Bell Inn)"

Demolished and site cleared for redevelopment, 2008.

 

RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF Newport  1896

1.Name.  BELL INN  2.Place.  Donnington Wood  3.Date of Visit.  25 July 1896 

4.Nature of Licence. Alehouse,  7 days  .When Granted. Not known but before 1800   

6.Owner.  Duke of Sutherland  Occupier. Mary NICHOLLS

Number of changes within past five years.  None  7.Rateable value.  £22-17-6d  8.Accommodation.  6 rooms downstairs and 5 up.

9.Stabling.  For 3 horses  10.Condition of Buildings.  House in fair condition; cratch and manger required in stable

11.Nature of Trade. Mining & Iron. 12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 1 mile 13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses.  About 50 yards  14.Position of House with regard to Police Control.  About a mile from Police Station.

15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. None  16.General Remarks.

        Some licensees

            1881                 *** Mary NICHOLLS, widow, (census)  
                                            Robert NICHOLLS, Mary’s son, is described as “victualler”

            1891/96                   Mrs Mary NICHOLLS (KD & PSR) 
            1914                       Mr J LEES (Lilleshall Estate sale catalogue)
            1941                       Charles William Thomas CHATFIELD,  (KD 1941)
            No dates given,        Archie SIDE,  Stan OLIVER (D & M )
            1950s&60s               Alf WHITTINGHAM (D & M)
            2000                       Dean & Julie BOULTON  (D & M )               
            2003                       Sharon LANE


 

***  A large memorial obelisk, dedicated to Mary Nicholls and her son Robert is near to the door of St Mathew's Church, Donnington Wood.

The inscription reads---

In loving memory of Robert Nicholls who died March 1st 1903 aged 50 years.

In loving memory of Mary Nicholls of Donnington Wood who died January 16th 1902 aged 78 years.


There is also a brass plaque inside the church that reads---

"In loving memory of Mary Nicholls and her Robert, these two windows are placed by Fanny Bromley, August 1903.




BELL                 Gower St.               St Georges

Demolished, former position in Gower St, not clear.

22 July 1862,  “The Bell”  St. Georges for Sale. Barber's Sale Details.

February 1894, sale of property at the Caledonia Hotel, Oakengates, by Barber & Sons of Wellington.

Lot 3 (under the will of  the late Mr John DAVIES).

The Bell beerhouse, at St Georges, was knocked down to the tenant, Mr William BRAMWELL, at £620.

(Eddowes Journal. 10 Feb 1894)

(1941 Kelly's Directory shows The Bell as a Beer House only.)

 

RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL 1896.

1.Name.Bell.2.Place. St Georges, Gower St. 3.Date of Visit. 1 Aug 1896. 4.Nature of Licence, Beerhouse 7 days. 5.When Granted. Not known but before 1866. 6.Owner & Occupier. William BRAMWELL. Number of changes within past five years. None. 7.Rateable value. £21. 8.Accommodation.4 rooms downstairs and  5 up. 9.Stabling. For 2 horses. 10.Condition of Buildings. Fair. 11.Nature of Trade.Ironworks & Mining. 12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 30 yards. 13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses.Adjoining.

14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. Near Police Station.15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. 16.General Remarks

Some licensees

    1871/81    William MORRIS (census)
    1876        William MORRIS occupant & owner. (WWS plot 546)
    1896        William BRAMWELL (PSR)   (b1864-d1914)
    1941        James Albert BRAMWELL,   (KD)
    1956        George F CLARKE (ER)

 

 

BELL (Off-licence)      Union St.             Hadley

 

RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON.1896

1.Name.Bell.2.Place.Hadley,  Union St. 3.Date of Visit. 25 July 1896. 4.Nature of Licence. Beer, Off licence. 5.When Granted. Not known but before 1872 6.Owner. Emma WOODFIN, Trench Lock.   Occupier. Enoch JONES.  Number of changes within past five years. Two. 7.Rateable value. £13.  8.Accommodation. 3 rooms downstairs & 3 up.

9.Stabling. None. 10.Condition of Buildings. Fair condition. 11.Nature of Trade. Ironworks.

12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 150 yards.  13.Prox. to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining.

14.Position with regard to Police Control. About 1/2 mile from Police Station. 15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. None

        Some licensees

        1891    Alfred DAVIES (KD, Premises not named).
        1896    Enoch JONES (PSR)
        1901    Joshua JONES, owner John Henry WOODFIN (PSR).



 

 

 

BELL              Market St.        Oakengates.

(Next to THE GREEN INN, 1871 census.)


            Some licensees

                1861  Cordelia HOWELLS (widow)  (census)
                1871  John BIRD (census)


 

 

ą
Henry Pope,
8 Mar 2016, 03:55
ą
Henry Pope,
8 Mar 2016, 11:51
Comments