Barley Mow


Barley Mow,  St.Georges; Trench Lock.



BARLEY MOW      Gower St     St. Georges


Open for business in 1862 (HBD)

“April 02 1881 G. Pascall commenced business at Barley Mow." 

(John WHEELER'S diary).

Closed for a time in 2008/9, refurbished and reopened 2010.

Closed Aug 2011, reopened as an Indian Restaurant.

 

RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF SHIFNAL.  1896.

1.Name. Barley Mow.  2.Place.  Gower St.  St. Georges.   3.Date of Visit.  1 Aug 1896   4.Nature of Licence.  Alehouse 7days.  5.When Granted. Not known but before 1853.  6.Owner & Occupier.  John Thomas JONES   Number of changes within past five years.  None  7.Rateable value.  £30.   8.Accommodation.  3 rooms downstairs & 5 up. 9.Stabling. For 2 horses. 10.Condition of Buildings. House fair, stables require lime-washing and roof repairing.

11.Nature of Trade.  Ironworks & mining. 12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses.  About 30 yds. 13.Proximity to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining.  14.Position of House with regard to Police Control.  Near Police Station.

15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. None  16.General Remarks.

    Some licensees    

        1861    Thomas FORGHAM  (HHD)
        1871    Thomas FORGHAM  (census)
        1876    Thomas FORGHAM occupant & owner. (WWS plot 542)
        1881/91    George R. PASCALL (census & KD)
        1895    Thomas JONES (KD)
        1896    John Thomas JONES (PSR)
        1905    John Thomas JONES (KD)
        1909    Mrs Alice TREVOR (KD)
        1917,29,34,37,41.   Benjamin CLEMSON (KD)
        1956    William H. BARNAM (ER)    
        2003    David McCARTHY.

     

 

 

 

BARLEY MOW ,   Trench Lock 

Demolished in 1975 to make way for the Queensway.


Photo 1972 copyright  James Tennant, (james@jrphotography.co.uk)


 RETURN OF LICENSED HOUSES IN THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF WELLINGTON.1896

1.Name. Barley Mow.  2.Place. Hadley, Trench Lock. 3. Date of Visit. 25 July 1896 4.Nature of Licence. Beerhouse 7 day. 5.When Granted.  Not known but before 1866.   6.Owner & Occupier.  Emma WOODFIN.

Number of changes within past five years.  One.  7.Rateable value. £30. 8.Accommodation. 6 rooms downstairs & 6 up. 9.Stabling. For 7 horses. 10.Condition of Buildings.  House good, stables require lime-washing & cleaning.

11.Nature of Trade. Ironworks. 12.Proximity to other Licensed Houses. About 10 yards.13.Prox. to Dwelling Houses. Adjoining. 14.Position of House with regard to Police Control. About 1/4 mile from Police Station. 15.Date & Nature of Proceedings. None  16.General Remarks.

                

    Some licensees,

            1891    John WOODFIN (census)   
            1896    Emma WOODFIN  (PSR)
            1901    John Henry WOODFIN (PSR).
            1941    Mrs Jane HOLDSWORTH,  (KD)
            1964    Horace R BAILEY (WD)


 

 

Comments